AT LRMS WE "AIM FOR EXCELLENCE" WITH CHARACTER EDUCATION!
LRMS Character Education Mission Statement:
Lake Riviera Middle School “Aims for Excellence” through Character Education, by endeavoring to create a caring environment for students, staff, parents, and community members. We will strive to respect and understand individual differences, as we create a positive moral culture through collaborative efforts.
The values we infuse into our educational setting are among the most universally accepted in a democratic society and include trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, and caring. The impetus and focus of the Character Education program will continue to be on adult modeling, curriculum integration, and parent/community involvement.
To create a positive moral culture in the school including cognitive, emotional and behavioral aspects, the Lake Riviera Middle School Community of Learners will engage in a variety of activities:
- Infusion into the curriculum: via materials, classroom based activities and school wide activities such as assemblies.
- Blending Character Education, Growth Mindset, and Social & Emotional Learning: educating our Lakers of their unlimited potential rooted in the Pillars of Character Education; understand and manage their emotions in order to develop positive relationships and make responsible decisions.
- Development of a Leadership Council: consists of staff, parents, community members and student leaders.
- Recognition for Demonstrating Good Character: Laker Leaders (monthly values)
Please ask how you can join us in this worthwhile effort in continuing to foster the character education which you have already begun with your children.
Pledge To Myself
This day has been given to me fresh and clear.
I can either use it or throw it away.
I promise myself I shall use this day to its fullest realizing it can never come back again.
I understand this is my life to use or to throw away.
I am the only person who has the power to decide what I will be.
I make myself what I am.
Values Of The Month - LAKER PRIDE
Honest, Example of integrity, Inspire others, Committed, Passionate, Good communicator, Demonstrate decision-making capabilities and accountability.
Fair, Accepts all Lakers for who they are and does not discriminate based on color, sex, creed, religion, ethnicity or socioeconomic status.
Caring, Helpful, Generous, Considerate, Compassionate, They express gratitude, They help those in need.
Puts forth effort in ALL things; Works to the best of their ability, Collaborative, Courageous.
Trustworthy, Wise , Reliable, Courteous, Example citizen, They obey laws and rules, They rise above expectations, Demonstrate self-control, They follow the Golden Rule.
Do your share to make your school and community better . Cooperate . Stay informed; vote . Be a good neighbor . Obey laws and rules . Respect authority . protect the environment.
They get back up when they fall; They keep good company; They cultivate self-awareness; They don’t have to have all the answers; They have a menu of self-care habits.
Honest, Authentic, They make good decisions consistently; Humble, Kind, Genuine, Trustworthy, Moral example, They are accountable for their actions.
Committed to “aiming for excellence” They overcome barriers. Effective communicator, planner and manager of time. A leader.
Character Education Infusion Curriculum
The following is taken directly from the LRMS Character Education CUrriculum revised 2008.
Through this curriculum it is our intention to reflect upon and improve our mission objective and ground rules for infusing a character education program at Lake Riviera Middle School. This curriculum endeavors to:
- Identify and define traits for the program.
- Inform the community about the program through public relations campaign/surveys, educational material, recruiting community leaders and local businesses, and maintain an interactive web site.
- Create a caring and safe environment with healthy community involvement
We will ensure that:
- A proactive and comprehensive approach, which promotes core values in all phases of the school, will be in place
- The school will be a caring community.
- Students will have opportunities to improve their character development through moral action which includes service-learning
- Character Education will be infused into a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum.
GOALS for the infusion of a Character Education program at Lake Riviera Middle School:
- To maintain a positive moral culture in the school including cognitive, emotional and behavioral aspects
- To strengthen the relationship of administration, faculty, and support personnel of the school (including secretaries, paraprofessionals, bus drivers, custodians and health professionals).
- To model a moral community that adheres to and demonstrates the core values.
- To gain parent/community involvement reinforcing the core values of character education outside of school.
OBJECTIVE 1: to infuse Character Education into Lake Riviera Middle School by promoting core ethical values such as: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship, as stated in the 6 Pillars of Character philosophy
OBJECTIVE 2: to enhance our Leadership Council which will consist of administrators, teachers, student leaders, parents and community leaders.
OBJECTIVE 3: to infuse all values into daily curricula whereby the staff will become moral leaders and model the core values
OBJECTIVE 4: to involve the students with the implementation of the Core Values students
OBJECTIVE 5: to publicize and promote the Lake Riviera Middle School Character Education Mission Statement and Pledge to which everyone, including community stakeholders, will be committed.
OBJECTIVE 6: to invite and encourage parental and community involvement.
Yearly evaluation of Character Education programs and projects will reflect upon three unique criteria which will identify successful maintenance and continual improvement of a caring and safe environment.